Are you a multitasker, even when you eat? Are you shoveling in your fast food while you check email, Twitter, and Facebook?
I want to suggest that when you eat, anything from a snack to a special dinner, put your phone away. Remove all other distractions that you can. Pay attention to your food and the activity of eating.
- Choose whole, simple, healthy, nutritious food. Think local and organic if possible.
- If you’re preparing your food at home, use your favorite plates and cups, arrange your food in a pleasing way, and be mindful of your portions.
- Sit at the table, not in front of the television. Or, if you’re lucky enough to have a deck, patio, or balcony, sit outside and enjoy your view.
- Chew each mouthful well before swallowing.
- Enjoy the colors, smells, and textures of the food.
- Think about where your food came from. Be grateful to the farmer who grew your potato or rice, to the animals who gave their life for your sustenance, to the truck driver who delivered the goods to your grocery store or restaurant, to the earth where your veggies and fruit were grown.
- Be grateful for whoever you may be sharing your meal with, even if it’s only you.
~~~ ☯ ~~~